Sunday, February 13, 2011

Journey to the Greek Islands

Garides Saganaki (Shrimp Baked in Tomato Sauce with Feta) is a recipe from The Foods of the Greek Islands By: Aglaia Kremezi.  You can find this cookbook as well as some of my other favorites in my Bookshelf on the side menu. 

The author explains that this recipe is not a traditional dish of the Greek islands and was probably created in the 1960's when large numbers of tourists were visiting the Greek islands.  It became a favorite of the Greeks and tourists and is being served in tavernas throughout Greece.  

I'll be back to let you know how my journey to the Greek islands is progressing.


Garides Saganaki
Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2-1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
1/2 cup finely diced tomato, drained in a colander for 5 minutes
Salt
2/3 cup coarsely grated hard feta cheese (see Note)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Method:
Preheat oven to 400° F.

In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.  Add the pepper or pepper flakes and the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.  Add the shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes, or until they start to become firm.  Add the tomato and salt to taste and cook for 2 minutes more, or until the sauce begins to thicken.  Transfer to a baking dish or four individual gratin dishes.  

Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly.  Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 2 to 3 minutes more.  Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

NOTE:  If you leave feta cheese uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, it will dry a bit and can then be easily grated.  

Makes 4 Servings


12 comments:

  1. awesome blog baby! just wish reading it didn't make me so hungry. looking forward to trying some tasty greek-food-goodness. now i need to go fix myself a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, paul! as soon as i get to the merc for my ingredients you'll be having some of that tasty greek food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great blog, Brita! I love the background of colorful veggies. It makes you think "FOOD!" And all the links of your varied cookbooks and the right places to purchase food and ingredients are a big plus! You've put a lot of work into this. Super job!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much, mom! i had a ton of fun creating the blog! i'll be back to let everyone know how the garides saganaki turned out. love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am leaving a comment, can you see my comment...let me know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, it works, Nick! Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog! I hope you'll post some of your recipes here too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! I'll have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kristen! Thanks for your comment. I hope you'll be sharing your recipes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brita, thank you for the invite :) I love to cook, so its always fun to get new recipes.
    Your site looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Tammy! I'm looking forward to getting some new recipes as well. I'll let you know when I have the link set up where family and friends can submit a recipe.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brita, this is a really cool idea...I have to admit I would rather clean than cook but hey I love this idea and will ck in to see what's cookin:-)

    Love ya, Barb

    ReplyDelete