Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Delicious Yet Simple Filipino Treat

My latest project, Turon, is a sweet and delicious Filipino treat.  Traditionally, Turon is made with lumpia wrappers (spring roll wrappers), but I plan to try using egg roll wrappers too.  I've had them both ways, and they are equally tasty.  

There are many different ways to make this Filipino snack.  Some variations include bananas with langka slices (jackfruit) or bananas with cheese.  I'm not too sure about the combination of bananas and cheese.  But hey, I love bananas, and I love cheese so I'm going to give it a try!  As a little experiment, I may also try bananas with some chocolate and/or peanut butter and maybe some with bananas and honey.  If you have suggestions, please feel free to comment below.  

Turon 
Ingredients:
Bananas, ripe (saba bananas or plantains)
Spring Roll Wrappers
Brown Sugar
White Sugar
Vegetable Oil
Water
*Optional: Jackfruit (Should be able to find this canned in syrup in most Asian markets.)

Directions: 
1.) Quarter long bananas by first cutting them in half and then lengthwise. 
2.) Dip each slice of banana in water. 
3.) Mix golden brown sugar and white sugar together and sprinkle over the top of the wet banana slices.
4.) Wrap in spring roll wrappers. (one slice of banana per spring roll should work well.) Add the jackfruit slices or other ingredient of choice.
5.) Add a touch of water on the spring rolls and sprinkle sugar mixture over top. 
6.) Deep fry until golden brown and transfer to a paper towel on a plate to absorb the oil.

I've eaten these many times but have never made them.  I'll be back to let you know how they turn out.

1 comment:

  1. I love anything with bananas, so this should be a winner! I'm anxious to hear how it turns out, Brita. Lucky Paul, who gets to eat all these snacks and dishes. :O) Has Zoe sampled any, too?

    ReplyDelete